Port Kembla Beach is regarded as one of Wollongong’s most prestigious beaches. It is located approximately 11 kilometres south of Wollongong CBD.
The surf club was established in 1910, with bathing at Port Kembla Beach dating back to the 1900s and the first dressing sheds erected in 1912.
The surf club is perched on the high fore dune, overlooking the northern end of Port Kembla Beach, the longest in the Wollongong area at 6.6 kilometres.
The club is complemented by a large car park next door. There is also a large Olympic pool on the northern rocks. The beach is patrolled from the end of September to the end of April.
Port Kembla Beach is not a dog friendly beach however south of the Surf Life Saving Club begins the off lead area for dogs.