Bike City Events and Projects
Some awesome cycle events include:
The MS Gong Ride is an Aussie cycling institution. Join 10,000 riders each November on one of the most spectacular road routes in the country (52km or 79km), finishing by the beach in Wollongong. A CycleAbility ride has also been incorporated thanks to the Disability Trust
Ride Wollongong which is a Festival of Cycling is a celebration of life on wheels! Each September, this festival of cycling features competitive road races, a free community ride, food stalls, live entertainment, a bike expo (including all-abilities exhibitors), and cycling-related workshops.
Rocky Trail Illawarra MTB School Comp – The Rocky Trail Academy is all about fostering the grass-roots development of the cycling sport and are part of our junior rider development program
Let us leverage your Bike-Friendly event:
We’re super keen to spread the word (or should that shred the word!) about Australia’s only UCI Bike City. We’re promoting this global brand through destination marketing, attracting and endorsing cycling events, and supporting the Council’s community cycling initiatives. Council’s cycling strategy also includes a legacy program from hosting the 2022 Road World Championships, to ensure the city benefits long after the epic event.
This program focuses on 7 key pillars:
- Sport – increasing participation opportunities
- Tourism – promoting UCI Bike City designation
- Policy – advocating for policies that support cycling
- Transport – supporting initiatives that facilitate riding
- Education – supporting programs that develop all facets of cycling
- People – developing the skills of event organisers, administrators, and volunteers
- Partnerships – galvanising community support to deliver legacy projects
Accredited Bike City Projects should contribute to one or more of the Legacy key pillars.
Event / Project Submission
Organising a cycling event or project in Wollongong? Let everybody know. Submit your event/project details for Bike City accreditation CLICK HERE to fill out our form
Accreditation benefits include:
- Listing on this website page
- Promotion on STRAVA Clubhouse
- Inclusion in Council’s Bike City dashboard
- Updates through our quarterly Bike City newsletter
- Ability to list on ATDW and feature on our “whats on” page