The Breakwater Lighthouse is located at Wollongong Harbour just up from Belmore Basin. It was commissioned in 1872 and the height of the tower is 42 feet (12.8 metres).
This now disused lighthouse was initially powered by vegetable oils and in the 1910s by gas. It was a prefabricated structure. A larger, improved lighthouse on the headland replaced it in the 1930s.
There is no access inside the lighthouse.