Bike Friendly Business Program
Cycling is a $6.3 billion industry in Australia, and Wollongong is the only city in Australia recognised by world cycling’s governing body, UCI, as an official global Bike City. It was awarded this prestigious label in 2021 in recognition of Wollongong City Council’s long-term commitment to cycling.
If you are a business who would like to take advantage of Wollongong’s Bike City status, the UCI Road World Championships in Wollongong this September, and perhaps grab a better share of that $6.3bn, then we invite you to become accredited as a “Bike Friendly Business”.
If your business currently offers (or would like to offer) a cycling service to residents, visitors, and tourists, including cafés and restaurants, attractions, accommodation suppliers, employers, retailers, cycling tour agents and other cycling services, you can reap business benefits in fostering a cycle-friendly environment and supporting cycling in our city, including:
- Increased sales.
- Increased consumer awareness through program marketing and being included in listings.
- Opportunities to participate in collaborative marketing.
- Supporting the popularity of cycling in the local community.
- Being able to build their business’s “social capital”.
Interested businesses are expected to satisfy a number of online stream criteria, to be considered as an accredited Bike Friendly Business (BFB’s) and then be willing to be inspected by representatives of DW and cycling organisations.
The Bike Friendly Business Program currently includes 4 streams:
- Venues (eg: cafes, restaurants, and attractions)
- Accommodation (eg: hotels, B&B’s, motels, and caravan parks)
- Retailers (eg: bike shops, sports shops, bike service and maintenance and cycling tours)
- Employers (eg: Employers willing to encourage and support those employees who wish to ride to work)
“The UCI congratulates the city of Wollongong for launching its new Bike Friendly Business Program. After being awarded the UCI Bike City Label in February 2021, Wollongong has rapidly engaged with the local community and stakeholders to roll out a broad range of initiatives promoting the growth of cycling amongst the population. The new Bike Friendly Business program is perfect timing in the lead up to the UCI Road World Championships and is aligned with the UCI’s mission to make cycling more accessible to all.
“Wollongong’s programme also provides a fantastic example for other UCI Bike Cities to follow, as it will strengthen partnerships, create new links with the business community and encourage further investment in cycling. We are delighted to see the UCI Bike City Label encourage such innovative thinking!”UCI Director General Amina Lanaya