Grand Pacific Drive
Are you looking for that ultimate coastal road trip?
We’ve got just the one! Take the Grand Pacific Drive along the spectacular coastline to Wollongong and beyond.
The 140km Grand Pacific Drive encompasses some of the most scenic coastline in New South Wales.
Starting just 45 minutes south of Sydney CBD at the entrance of the Royal National Park (world’s second oldest), the drive takes you through coastal rainforests, quaint seaside villages and traverses along the iconic 665 metre Sea Cliff Bridge. It's so much more than a bridge - shaped like a snake, majestically sweeping over the waters of the Pacific!
Grand Pacific Drive then makes its way into the bustling city of Wollongong, considered to be the main ‘hub’ along the Drive. Wollongong offers an abundance of adventure activities, great beaches and shopping, fantastic restaurants and small bars, cafes, golf courses, art galleries and much more. Explore Wollongong’s ‘must see, must do’ activities and attractions on this website.
From Wollongong continue south along Grand Pacific Drive into the beautiful coastal towns of Shellharbour and Kiama, with the drive ending in the spectacular Shoalhaven region.
If you decide to stay for the night (or a few) there are also plenty of accommodation options to suit all tastes and budgets from beachside and CBD international hotel brands to quaint B&B’s, tourist parks and backpacker accommodation.
From here, you can either continue south to Batemans Bay and the greater South Coast or head west into the Southern Highlands and then onto the national capital, Canberra.
Click here to view a map of the Grand Pacific Drive. Tip: Follow the clearly marked brown and white signposts along the Drive from Royal National Park to Nowra.
Our top picks: things to see and do along the grand pacific drive
With so much to see and do along the Grand Pacific Drive, we’re guessing you’d appreciate some recommendations? We’re happy to help! Some of our favourite stops along the way include:
- A visit to Wollongong's only zoo, Symbio Wildlife Park
- A heart-pumping tandem hang glide with an instructor at Bald Hill Lookout
- A wind-blowing Trike tour along the Grand Pacific Drive with Just Cruisin’ Motorcycle Tours
- An adrenaline fuelled adventure with Skydive Australia: NSW’s only beach skydive
- A delicious breakfast, lunch or dinner at one of Wollongong’s bustling cafes and/or restaurants
- A scenic bicycle ride along the Blue Mile of Wollongong
- An enlightening and peaceful visit to Nan Tien Temple: the largest Buddhist Temple in the Southern Hemisphere! Don’t forget to try the delicious vegetarian lunch at the Dew Tea House
- A sun-soaking session on one of Wollongong’s 17-patrolled beaches. Or if pools are your thing, take a dip in one of the many coastal rock pools located along the coast
- A soaring scenic flights with Touchdown Helicopters from the Shellharbour Airport
- An action-packed family-fun day at Jamberoo Action Park
- A tantalisingly tasteful tour of some of the region’s most beautiful wineries such as Crooked River Winery and Coolangatta Estate
- Visit Killalea State Park, home to a beach affectionately known to locals as "the Farm" which is now a national surfing reserve, and home to ‘The Farms’ markets held monthly
- Visit the famous Kiama Blowhole
For a full list of things to experience along the Grand Pacific Drive as well as maps and suggested itineraries, visit the Grand Pacific Drive website.
If you're looking for an extended road trip and would like to include Grand Pacific Drive at the start or end of your travels, check out Sydney Melbourne Touring.
- Driving through the Royal National Park is free. Fee of $12 applies if stopping to enjoy this picturesque playground.
- Park at one of the designated Sea Cliff Bridge carparks and walk along the Bridge. Parking is located north of the Sea Cliff Bridge at Leeder Park or Coalcliff Beach. There is also limited parking (in a southbound bay) just south of the Bridge or near the Clifton School of Arts.
- There is free parking at all beaches along the Grand Pacific Drive.
- Wollongong offers free on-street weekend & Public Holiday parking. On-street parking is free after 12:30pm on Saturdays and all day Sundays.
- Chat to a local at the many Visitor Information Centres along the drive.
Sea Cliff Bridge – Getting there via public transport:
Nearest Train Station is Coalcliff with an 800m walk south to the start of the Sea Cliff Bridge. Click here to plan your trip with Sydney Trains.
Premier Bus #2 - Stanwell Park to Wollongong and return. Click here to plan your trip with Premier Coaches.
* Please note that this bus service does not run on Sundays and Public Holidays.
Trips to Discover - March 2018
- Quoted as being "One of the best, if not the best, scenic drive from Sydney.."! To view the Article Click Here